Thursday, November 10, 2011

Shakira honoured with Walk of Fame star

Dubai Business News — Singer Shakira has become the first Colombian artist to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

"I would like to dedicate this to the Latin community in the US, a community that restlessly works and dreams and dreams and works everyday to make this a better country," she said to fans gathered on Hollywood Boulevard.

Shakira, 34, rose to fame in Latin America in the 1990s with her album Pies Descalzos.

Her second official album, Donde Estan Los Ladrones', garnered international success with singles such as No Creo and the Arab-inspired Ojos Asi.

The Latin singer then produced an English crossover album, Laundry Service, following in the footsteps of bilingual artists like Enrique Iglesias and Ricky Martin.

Her single Whenever, Wherever topped charts in many European counties and the Spanish version of the single won a Latin Grammy award.

"When I was seven years old, I came to Los Angeles for the first time and I passed by the Walk of Fame with my mother," reminisced Shakira.

"I remember that my mum told me, 'Shaki, one day you are going to have your name on this place'."

The singer has won two Grammys and was nominated for her collaborations with Beyonce on the single Beautiful Liar and Wyclef Jean on Hips Don't Lie.

Reports from Emirates247.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

D I S C L A I M E R: Dubai Business News respects intellectual property. Please note that we do not claim ownership of all images and articles featured in this website since most entries in this website are sourced from different news and information websites, but we try our best to link or credit the original author / source / publisher. If you believe that you are the owner of the material that appears on this site, kindly send proof to us and we will promptly remove the said material.